A good brand name is essential for your business. It’s what people remember and associate with your brand. Learn in under one minute how to create a great brand name for your business.
Qualities of a Great Brand Name
- Uniqueness: Stand out from competitors to avoid confusion.
- Appropriateness and emotional resonance: The name should fit your industry and evoke emotions without being overly descriptive.
- Availability: Ensure the name is available for trademarks, URLs, and social media handles.
- Length and Simplicity: Keep it short, easy to spell, pronounce, and remember.
- Visual Appeal: Consider how it can be visually represented in your branding.
- Global suitability: Ensure the name is globally applicable, working effectively across languages to avoid misunderstandings
Different Types of Brand Names
- Founder’s name (Ford)
- Descriptive name (PayPal)
- Metaphoric name (Puma)
- Arbitrary name (Kodak)
- Altered name (Xerox)
- Acronym (IKEA)
- invented name (Google)
Follow These 7 Steps to Create Your Brand Name
- Define your brand’s unique qualities and target audience.
- Brainstorm names for each type, allowing creativity without limitations.
- Narrow the list down to 5-10 names that resonate with your brand identity.
- Check the availability of URLs and social media handles for your shortlisted names.
- Seek feedback, remembering that a new name also takes time to grow on people.
- Research potential names in various languages to avoid unintended negative connotations.
- Consult a trademark lawyer to ensure the name can be registered.
That’s it. For an in-depth article on this topic, check out “How to Create a Strong Brand Name”.
Title image by Kaboompics